Monday, June 27, 2011

Slacker

I rarely read the newspaper. I don’t know many people who do anymore. I figure, if it’s not spoon-fed to me on Fox News, the most trusted name in “news,” then it’s not worth investing my limited-attention span. But I did pick up a newspaper last week, and was shocked to read about a 59-year old man who robbed a North Carolina bank. For $1. His attorney said that James Verone was a good law abiding citizen before robbing the bank. In addition to being unemployed, Verone has chronic health issues. Evidently he robbed the bank so he could receive (free) health care in jail. I say throw the book at this slacker. He should do what every other American citizen who cannot afford health care does – go to the emergency room. It doesn’t matter if he can’t pay for treatment. Somebody else will pick up the tab. Like the hospital. And eventually the people who pay ever-higher health insurance premiums.

No comments:

Post a Comment